Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tenses in English – Present Tense, Past Tense and Future Tense and Four Patterns of the Tenses - Part 2

Just as the   Present.  Tense   has   four   forms;   the Past Tense also   has the following four   forms. 
            1.  I loved                                                        (Simple Past)
            2. I was loving                                                             (Past Continuous.)
            3. I had loved                                                  (Past   Perfect)
            4. I had been loving                                        (Past   Perfect   Continuous)

Similarly the   Future   Tense   has the following   four   forms.
1.       I shall / will  love                                      ( Simple  Future)
2.      I shall / will be loving                                (Future Continuous.)
3.      I shall /  will  have   loved                         (  Future  Perfect)
4.      I shall have been   loving                          (Future Perfect Continuous.)

We  may   now define  Tense  as


A verb   agrees with its subject   in   number   and person.  Study   the   verb form   of various   tenses. 
Simple   Present Tense                                              Present   Continuous Tense
I speak                                                                         I am   speaking
You speak                                                                    You are speaking
He   speaks                                                                  He is   speaking
We speak                                                                    We are Speaking
They speak                                                                  They are speaking

Present Perfect Tense                                               Present Perfect   Continuous Tense 
I have spoken                                                              I have been speaking
You have spoken                                                         You have been speaking
He has spoken                                                             He has been speaking
We have spoken                                                          We have been speaking
They have spoken                                                       They have been speaking

Simple Past Tense                                                       Past Continuous Tense 
I spoke                                                                         I was speaking
You spoke                                                                    You were speaking
He spoke                                                                     He was speaking
We spoke                                                                    We were speaking
They spoke                                                                  They were speaking

Past Perfect Tense                                                     Past Perfect Continuous Tense.
I had spoken                                                                I had been Speaking
You had spoken                                                           You had been Speaking
He had Spoken                                                            He had been Speaking
We had Spoken                                                           We had been Speaking
They had spoken                                                         They had been Speaking

Simple Future                                                            Future Continuous Tense
I shall/ will Speak                                                        I shall / will be speaking
You   will speak                                                           You will be speaking
He will speak                                                               He will be speaking
We shall /will speak                                                    We shall / will be speaking
They will speak                                                           They will be speaking

Future Perfect   Tense                                               Future Perfect Continuous Tense
I shall / will have spoken                                            I shall/ will have been speaking
You will have spoken                                                  You will have been speaking
He will have spoken                                                    He will have been speaking
We shall / will have spoken                                        He shall / will been speaking
They will speak                                                           They will be speaking

Future Perfect Tense                                                             Future Perfect Continuous Tense
I shall / will have spoken                                            I shall / will have been speaking
You will have spoken                                                  You will have been speaking 
He will have spoken                                                    He will have been speaking
They will have spoken                                                 they will have been speaking

No comments:

Post a Comment