Tenses : Introduction
Read the following sentences:
1. I write this letter to give pleasure to you.
2. I wrote the letter in his very presence.
3. I shall write another letter tomorrow.
In sentence 1 above, the Verb write refers to Present time.
In sentence 2, the Verb wrote refers to Past time.
In sentence 3, the Verb shall write refers to future time.
Thus a Verb may refer.
(1) To present time (2) Past time, or (3) to future time.
A Verb that refers to present time is said to be in the Present Tense; as ,
I play, I write
A Verb that refers to past time is said to be in the Past Tense; as
I played, I wrote
A Verb that refers to past time is said to be in the Future Tense; as
I shall play, I shall write
There are three main Tenses.
The Present, the Past and the Future.
The Tense of a Verb shows the time of an action or event.
Note:
Sometimes a past tense may refer to present time, and a present tense may express future time, as :
v I wish I knew the answer (= I’m sorry I don’t know the answer, past tense -Present time.)
v Let’s wait till he comes. (Present tense - future tense.)
Below we give the chief Tenses (Active Voice, Indicative Mood) of the verb to write.
Present Tense
Singular Number Plural Number
1st Person I write We write
2nd person You write You write
3rd Person He writes they write
Past Tense
Singular Number Plural Number
1st Person I wrote We wrote
2nd person You wrote You wrote
3rd Person He wrote They wrote
Future Tense
Singular Number Plural Number
1st Person I shall / will write We shall / Will write
2nd person You will write You will write
3rd Person He will write They will write
Read these sentences
1. I write (Simple Present)
2. I am writing (Present Continuous)
3. I have written (Present Perfect)
4. I have been writing (Present Perfect Continuous.)
The Verbs in all of these sentences refer to the Present time, and are therefore said to be in the Present tense.
In sentence 1, However, the Verb shows that the action is mentioned simply , without anything being said about the completeness or incompleteness of the action.
that from of a Verb which shows the time and the state of an action or event.
In sentence 2, the Verb shows that the action is mentioned as incomplete or continuous , that is, as still going on.
In sentence 3, the Verb shows that the action is mentioned as finished, complete, or prefect, at the time of Speaking.
The tense of the Verb in sentence 04 is said to be Present Perfect Continuous, because the verb shows that the action is going on continuously, and not completed at this present moment.
Thus we see that the Tense of a Verb shows not only the time of an action or event, but also the state of an action referred to.
No comments:
Post a Comment